Dark and dull skin can be caused by overexposure to the sun, environmental pollution, a medical condition, dry skin, stress, poor lifestyle choices, and prolonged use of chemical-based cosmetic products.
Many people work hard to achieve fair and flawless skin. The market is flooded with skin-lightening creams and lotions. But such products have harmful chemicals that can ultimately damage your skin. Oftentimes the products are expensive, too.
You can save yourself some time and money by using natural remedies that will effectively brighten and lighten your skin complexion.
Here are the top 10 ways to lighten skin naturally…
Almonds contain vitamins that are essential for skin health. Almonds also have properties that can nourish the skin and remove discoloration. You can use almonds in different ways to treat dark skin on your neck.
- For a simple remedy, make a thick paste of half a teaspoon of powdered almonds, and one teaspoon each of milk powder and honey. Apply the paste on the sides and back of the neck, leave it on for half an hour and then wash it off with water. Do this two to four times a week.
- Slightly heat almond oil and massage your neck with it. Do this few times a month to improve blood circulation in the neck area. The oil also acts as a moisturizer and will help make your skin glow.
- Soak four or five almonds in water overnight. In the morning, grind the almonds into a paste. Apply the paste on the neck area and gently scrub for a few minutes. Wash it off with cold water. Do this once or twice a week.
The most important ingredient in skin care is vitamin C, which you can get in abundance from oranges. Plus, oranges have bleaching properties that can lighten your skin tone.
It has been found that regular consumption of fresh orange juice can greatly improve the overall texture of your skin as well as its suppleness. To lighten your skin, oranges can be used in two different ways.
- Combine two tablespoons of orange juice and a pinch of powdered turmeric. Apply this mixture on your face and neck before going to bed. You can also apply it on your hands and legs. Wash it off after 20 to 30 minutes. Do this daily.
- Grind dried orange peels into powder. Mix one tablespoon of the powdered peels with one tablespoon of plain yogurt to make a paste. Apply the paste on your skin and leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse it off with water. This will help lighten spots and other marks on your face. Do this once or twice a week, but no more than that.
3. Baking Soda
Baking soda works as a natural skin exfoliant and cleanses the skin and slowly removes dark, discolored patches. The combination of baking soda and water has proven quite effective in removing hyper-pigmentation that forms around the neck.
- Mix three parts of baking soda and one part of water to form a thick paste.
- Apply the paste on your neck and let it dry.
- Wash it off after a few minutes.
- Do this twice a week to enhance the complexion of your neck in just a few weeks.
Papaya is regularly used in various beauty treatments and can also be used to lighten your skin complexion. Papaya is believed to contain natural bleaching properties and the various nutrients in it will make your skin glow with health.
- Eat papaya as a fruit. The general cleansing properties of papaya will cleanse the skin of impurities that could be causing it to darken.
- Rub the inner part of the skin of a papaya on your face. Allow it to dry. Then wash your face with cold water and pat it dry. This will give your skin a nice glow. Do this daily.
- Mash a ripe papaya and mix it with one cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice. Massage the mixture all over your face and neck. Leave it on for at least 30 minutes before washing it off with cold water. Do this at least once a week to notice a visible change in your skin tone.
Turmeric is often used to improve skin complexion. It helps build up the kind of melanin content to maintain an even skin tone. Also, turmeric has antiseptic and antioxidant properties that are good for your skin’s overall health.
- Mix turmeric powder and milk cream to make a thick paste. Apply the paste on your skin. Allow it to dry and then wash it off with lukewarm water. When followed regularly, this simple remedy is really effective for skin whitening.
- Alternatively, mix two teaspoons of gram flour, one-half teaspoon of turmeric powder and one teaspoon of lemon juice. Apply this mask and leave it on for 20 to 25 minutes or until it is dry. Scrub off the dried mask and then rinse your skin with lukewarm water.
6. Chickpea flour
Chickpea flour works as an excellent scrubber to get rid of dark skin patches on your neck. Chickpea flour should always be used with turmeric, which has antiseptic properties and is used for treating various skin problems.
- Take two teaspoons of chickpea flour and add a pinch of turmeric to it. Add some water and mix the ingredients well to make a thick paste.
- Apply the paste on your dark spots and allow it to dry for about 20 minutes.
- Then scrub it away with cold water.
- Do this every other day.
The enzyme catecholase in potatoes has bleaching abilities that help lighten dark skin on the neck.
- Apply grated potatoes or potato juice all around your neck. Leave it on for 15 minutes and then wash your neck with cold water.
- Alternatively, you can mix lemon juice and potato juice together and apply it on the affected skin area. Leave it on for about 10 to 15 minutes and then wash the area with cold water. Do this daily to get positive results. This remedy can also be used for erasing dark spots and acne scars.
Cucumber binds collagen and ensures that your skin is firm as well as supple. Supple and firm skin often has an even and light skin tone. Cucumber also has a cooling effect on your skin. It is suitable for all skin types.
- Place cucumber slices directly on the dark skin areas in need of lightening treatment. Leave them on for a few minutes, remove them and then rinse your skin with lukewarm water. Do this twice daily.
- Grate a cucumber and mix it with honey to make a spot-reducing mask. Apply the mask on your face and neck. Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes and then rinse it off with cold water. Do this twice daily for effective results.
- You can also mix one teaspoon each of lemon juice and cucumber juice. Apply it on your face, leaving it on for 15 to 20 minutes or until it dries. Wash it off with water. Do this once daily.
9. Orange Peel
The high amount of vitamin C in oranges is also very helpful in lightening the skin tone. You can use orange peel to cleanse as well as bleach the skin.
- Put some orange peel in the sun and let it dry out. Then grind it into a powder. Add equal amount of whole milk to the powdered orange peel to make a thick paste. Apply the paste around the neck area and allow it to dry. Wash it off with cold water.
- Alternatively, you can grate the orange peel and add orange juice to it. Apply this mixture on your neck and leave it on for 10 minutes before washing it off with cold water. Do this daily.
The best way to encourage the growth of new skin cells to improve your skin tone is to get rid of old skin cells. Oatmeal helps exfoliate the skin, leaving it supple and soft.
- Mix oatmeal with tomato juice and apply the mixture on your face. Leave it on for 20 minutes and then wash it off with cold water. While rinsing, rub it gently so that the oatmeal can scrub off the dead skin cells. Do this daily.
- Alternatively, mix one teaspoon of oatmeal powder, a pinch of turmeric and a few drops of lemon juice to make a thick paste. Apply it on your face and let it dry. Wash off the dry mask with water. Do this once daily.
Follow these natural remedies to lighten your skin complexion. However, bear in mind that these are very effective but will take time and patience to achieve your desired goal. Also remember that healthy skin is as important as a beautiful skin tone. So, try to maintain healthy skin also.