Bajirao Mastani is an upcoming Indian historical romance film produced and directed by Sanjay Leela Bhansali. The film narrates the story of the Maratha warrior Peshwa (Prime Minister) Bajirao I of the Maratha Empire and his second wife Mastani. Ranveer Singh and Deepika Padukone portray the titular protagonists, and Priyanka Chopra plays Bajirao’s first wife Kashibai. The film is scheduled to be released on 18 December 2015.
- Ranveer Singh as Bajirao I, the Second hereditary Peshwa of the Maratha Empire, from 1720 until his death.
- Deepika Padukone as Mastani
- Priyanka Chopra as Kashibai, Baji Rao’s first wife
- Tanvi Azmi as Radhabai, Bajirao’s mother.
- Sukhada Khandkekar as Anubai, Baji Rao’s sister.
- Anuja Gokhale as Bhiubai, Baji Rao’s sister.
- Vaibbhav Tatwawdi as Chimaji Appa, Baji Rao’s younger brother.
- Mahesh Manjrekar as the Maratha Emperor ‘Chhattrapati Shahu ‘ (Son of Chhatrapati Sambhaji and Grandson of Chhatrapati Shivaji).
- Milind Soman
- Ayush Tandon
- Sanjay Mishra
Principal photography of the film started on 23 September 2014 with Singh and Chopra. Padukone shot for a crucial scene for two days during the end of December 2014 and resumed shooting in March 2015, after completing work for her other projects.Padukone filming included physically tough scenes such as sword fighting while sporting a 20 kg armour. A major portion of the film will be shot in Mumbai’s Film City Studios. For the outdoor sequences, Bhansali has finalised Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Gujarat, and Wai of Maharashtra. The Production designers Sujeet Sawant, Sriram Iyengar, Saloni have designed more than 21 sets including Aaina Mahal & Shaniwar wada. Extensive research and designing have been done to construct massive sets. The promo teaser launched recently shows the grandeur & aesthetically stunning visuals of Peshwa Period achieved by the designers. The filming of the film was completed in first week of October 2015.