An earthquake jolted the North India including the national capital, Delhi. Tremors almost continued for 40 seconds.
The India Meteorological Department said the epicentre of the quake lay in the Hindu Kush region in Afghanistan. The quake was measured 7.5 on the Richter scale, PTI reported.
So far, no reports have indicated the quake has prevented the financial establishments and other businesses from working normally, except for the initial duration of the earthquake.
The Bombay Stock Exchange and the National Stock Exchange plus all the other markets, including commodities markets are working normally.
The quake was felt right across South Asia, rocking cities, towns and villages everywhere.
Strong tremors were felt in Kabul, New Delhi and Islamabad on Monday. In the Pakistani capital, walls swayed back and forth and people poured out of office buildings in a panic, reciting verses from the Quran.
Delhi Metro services have been halted after strong tremors shook the capital, a DMRC officials said.
The quake also affected telecom services in Delhi and neighbouring regions as hundreds of thousands of people began telephoning one another.
7.5 magnitude earthquake in Hindu Kush region is 190 deep, explaining was it was felt at such large distances.
Tremors were also felt in Pakistan. The Pakistani met department put the intensity even higher — at 8.1.
According to reports, The shake has been felt as far as United Arab Emirates, 2,200 km away.
Richter scale and the damage done:
1. 0 to 1.9: Tremors only visible to Seismograph
2. 2 to 2.9: Light shaking can be felt
3. 3 to 3.9: The vibrations get stronger
4. 4 to 4.9: Window panes can break and phot frames on walls can fall
5. 5 to 5.9: Furniture starts moving from its place
6. 6 to 6.9: Foundations of buildings can be displaced
7. 7 to 7.9: Buildings can fall।
8. 8 to 8.9: Larger edifices like bridges can be damaged and fall
9. 9 Plus: Everything that has been built buy human hands can get destroyed.