vegetable dum biryani is one of the favorite among the vegetarians and a hyderabadi vegetable dum biryani is a royal dish that is aromatic and delicious.
vegetable dum biryani is quite popular across the world. This recipe is roughly adapted from vahchef’s video and is one of the best veg dum biryani that I can ever make.
To make vegetable dum biryani flavorful and delicious, we need a good masala powder. You can use a store bought powder or can make some from my biryani masala powder recipe (link in the recipe card below). Most folks have the fear of burning the biriyani at the bottom that can be prevented by using enough yogurt.
veg biryani can also be prepared in an oven, instructions included below.
Step by Step Hyderabadi Vegetable Biryani Recipe:
1. Thinly slice onions and fry them in oil to make the fried onions, set aside. For a detailed instructions check how to make fried onions for dum biryani. These are also sold in super markets as fried onions (not onion flakes).
2.Heat oil in a pan; add the dry spices except shahi jeera . Sauté till you get an aroma. takes around a min, do not burn.
3. Add shahi jeera and sauté until they crackle.
4. Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes off.
5. Add potatoes and fry for 3 to 5 mins.
6. Add the rest of the vegetables and fry for 2 to 3 mins.
7. Add turmeric, salt, red chili powder and biryani masala powder. fry till it turns aromatic for about 2 to 3 minutes.
8. Pour 100 ml yogurt. Set aside rest of the yogurt for further use. Mix Well.
9. Cook covered till the veggies are cooked al dente, just cooked. Cook covered if needed. Do not over cook the veggies.
10. Evaporate the moisture by cooking uncovered for a while. Add mint and green chilies. Mix well and fry for a min. Set aside.
11. In a large pot, bring 5 cups of water to boil, add oil, salt, shahi jeera and rice. Adjust the salt.
12. Cook this rice till it is ¾ done. drain off the excess water and set aside
13. Transfer half of the cooked veggies to a dum biryani pot or pressure pan or your dum biryani utensil. Set aside half of the veggies.
14. Add nuts and raisins.
15. Add fried onions.
16. Pour the left over half of yogurt to the pot, (not to the one that is set side). Mix well and check the salt. Begin to heat on a low flame.
17. Layer half of the rice. Layer the veggies that was set aside from step 13.
18. Add fried onions.
19. Layer rice again.
20. Add nuts, chopped mint and coriander leaves.
21. Begin to heat an old heavy bottom tawa and proceed with the next step.
22. Pour saffron milk. Cover the pan with 2 thick moist kitchen towels. Place the lid and a heavy object on the lid. I do not place any heavy object, as my lid itself is very heavy. Or you can make dough made of wheat flour. Moisten the rim of the pan, place this dough around the rim and place the lid over it. Press the lid tight so that it sticks to the dough tightly and no steam vents out. I do not prefer to do this as this mess up the pan and cleaning is a great pain. you can even use a foil to cover tightly.
23. Move this pan to the hot tawa, cook on medium flame for 5 mins & set the flame to low. cook this way for 5 mins
veg biryani is ready to serve.